- 5 to 6 Sour Plum (suanmei)
- 20-25 pieces sliced dried hawthorn fruits (shanzha pian)
- 5-6 pieces sliced dried licorice root (gancao)
- 3 pieces of tangerine peel (chenpi)
- 4 big cups 9.5 Kangen water
- 1 piece of honey rock sugar to taste
- 2 Tbsp of dried osmanthus blossoms (guihua)
1. Place the sour plums, hawthorn fruits, licorice root, and tangerine peel in a sieve and rinse them well under running 9.5 Kangen water.
2. Shake them dry and place them in a pot. Pour 4 big cups of 9.5 Kangen water over the dry ingredients and let them soak for at least an hour to soften and extract the flavor.
3. Bring the pot to a full boil. Then, lower the heat to a gentle simmer for about 1 hour. Add in rock sugar and simmer the infusion until the sugar melts; taste and add more if you want.
4. Add the osmanthus blossoms last and turn off fire so that the flavors can steep together. Let the infusion cool to room temperature.
5. Chill it overnight to allow the flavors to develop. Strain and add cold water to make 4 cups, or to taste. Serve chilled.
I simply love this chilled sour plum infusion with osmanthus flower. It’s refreshing and delicious. A slice of licorice root has natural anti-inflammatory properties. However, a possible side effect of licorice root is high blood pressure. If you are having this symptom, go easy with the licorice root.
Serving Size :
For Whole Family to consume